Divorce Consultation Specialist
Divorce can be an extremely stressful event in a family. At Child’s Best, in New York City, Dr. Learsy and Dr. Reiss provide consultation services to help parents learn strategies they can use to support their children through the process and adjust to the new way of life in a psychologically mindful manner.
What is a divorce consultation?
When a marriage ends, the couple often worries how the divorce will impact their children. Parents may experience feelings of guilt as they contemplate the effects of the divorce on their children. There are behaviors and situations that can make the divorce process and adjustment period following the divorce more difficult for the children involved, but there are also behaviors and situations that can help the transition. Dr. Learsy and Dr. Reiss will discuss strategies to support a healthy attachment between the child and each parent. During the consultation, the doctors will go over:
- What, when, and how to tell children about the divorce
- Strategies to provide consistency in the child’s life
- How to ensure the child feels safe, supported, and loved during the divorce
- How can I help my child cope with the divorce?
- It’s essential that the parents help the child feel reassured and supported during this difficult time. Studies show that children are better off if they have an open, honest, loving, and supportive environment at home.
When should I seek help?
It is preferable to seek help at the very beginning—when you consider that divorce may be the solution. If your child displays any of the following signs of stress, then it is a good time to seek help from a trained professional:
- Separation anxiety when away from parents
- Sadness and depression
- Change in personality
- Irrational fears and compulsive behavior
- Sleep disturbances
- Problems at school with peers, teachers, or academics
If your child acts younger than their age, displays manipulative behavior, has difficulty eating or sleeping, and is experiencing difficulty in school and with peers, then please don’t hesitate to contact Child’s Best to seek the help during this difficult time.